03. Research Demographics & Results
- Survey Area – 29 revenue villages plus 19 camps and 6 towns / villages outside survey boundary.
- Crafts listed through Literature review – 26
- Crafts located in the field – 18**, as listed below
Blacksmiths (Kammaras) 40 to 45 households depending on actively practising or not of which 1 outside the boundary.
Carpenters (Badigas ) 32 households of which 12 outside the boundary (2 temple
chariot making, 3 agricultural implements, remaining 10 building craft)**
Basket weaver (Korava) 27 households of which 15 outside the boundary.
Stone cutters (Bovis) 200 households partly nomadic
Goldsmith (Akkasaliga) 6 houses of which 2 are outside the boundary
Black pottery (Kumbaras) 10 houses
Street artistes (Budagajangam) 4 households nomadic – recently settled in a village by the
Stone carvers (Shilpis) 2 households
Lambani embroidery (Kasoothi) 20 households
Traditional dance-drama (Bylnataka) 1 family
Musicians (Bajantiris) 5 families of which 4 outside the boundary
Mural painters (Chitragara) 1 family outside the boundary
Lacquer processional idols (Chitragara) 1 family outside the boundary
Patchwork quilting (Koudhee) 10 families all outside the boundary
Brassmith (Kanchugara) 1 family outside boundary
- Craft cluster survey elicited 49 respondents each representative of a particular craft or craft cluster in that village.
- Besides these, to date, in-depth video interviews have been conducted with 17 individual craftspeople.